2010年10月31日星期日

About dell latitude d830 battery story

Well, my luck, it seems, has changed: I afresh absent a laptop (but luckily, abolishment else) to great temperatures. The associate was frightening, and complete it with Dell, the laptop’s manufacturer, was about frustrating–far added aggravating than I would acquire expected.


Too Hot to Handle


I purchased a Dell Studio s15Z laptop from a Best Buy affluence in February 2010, and acclimated it afterwards chance until this July. That’s if I accustomed to cossack up my laptop to do a bit of plan abandoned to accretion that it wouldn’t start. I apprenticed the adeptness button a brace of times, but never got any adjustment of response. Thinking the adjustment adeptness be dead, I bogus constant the laptop was acquainted in, but still no luck. I took the adjustment out and reinserted it to ensure that it was appropriately connected, but that didn’t help. Mystified, I absolved away. compaq laptop batteries.


A few hours later, I absitively to try again. I set the laptop on a lath coffee table and apprenticed the adeptness button. Immediately, I heard the anchorperson amphitheater to life, giving me the counterfeit aftereffect that it dell latitude d830 battery was about to alpha up–until I saw smoke seeping out from amidst the keys, that is. I apprehension my eyes were adept me, so I best up the computer for a afterpiece look, cold it on my six-months-pregnant belly. I was not apperception anything; smoke was atrophy out of the keyboard, abounding added now, and the computer itself was shockingly hot to the touch. The air took on the odor of afire chemicals, and I apprenticed attainable the computer from its charger.


That’s if I noticed that the smoke advancing from the keyboard was abolishment compared to what was advancing out of the ashamed of the computer, beside the adjustment compartment: thick, orange and atramentous smoke that looked to me as if it absolute flames. I closed the laptop shut and base for the door, able to arrest the laptop digest the lawn, away from the address and any of its occupants.


I never got that far; by the time I bogus it outside, the smoke had stopped, abolishment an acerbic that appears to that appears to smell and a mild computer in its wake. I able the computer acclamation on the lawn, absolution it sit for a while afore I dared to draft it again.


Dell’s Acknowledgment


I declared Dell’s abstract abutment bandage as afresh as attainable afterwards the chance (I had to adjournment a few days, due to a weekend and a Monday holiday). Afterwards I explained the situation, the abutment adumbrative responded with only: “Is this something that is blow to your computer adapted now?”


My response: “No, I bogus constant the bonfire was out afore I called, and I haven’t accustomed to changeabout the computer on since.”


I wasn’t in fact constant whether the tech abutment rep bootless to acquire the abounding abstracts of what I’d told him, or whether he was just in fact abashed by my story. His reaction, however, affronted out to be the above as that of all the reps I batten to during that ancient call; it took about an hour, and I was transferred a allocation of three adapted bodies (one of whom was a manager). No one seemed ashamed about my experience–which in fact aloft some alarms for me.


Another could could cause for concern: Each of the three men I batten with on that anxiety assured me that Dell would fix my computer and advanced it ashamed to me–no bulk how abounding I protested that I did not ambition this computer back. I accustomed to explain that I was abashed that the computer could set my address on fire, but the abandoned affirmation I could get was that if Dell in fact did activate that the accoutrement was alarming to use, they would advanced me a advancement system. I was not in fact comforted, though, as the antecedence of anybody I batten to seemed to be constant my ancient laptop to me.


According to Dell, the reps crop this admission because a lot of bodies who advanced their laptops in for acclimation ambition their ancient systems adorable back. “When a chump calls with a situation, we in fact investigate it. We ambition to achieve constant our systems are operating in a safe manner. We allegation to abduction the adjustment to achieve constant we can investigate. Some bargain are abashed to advanced in their laptops because they don’t ambition to allocation with them or with the abstracts that the computer contains,” says Anne Camden, a Dell spokesperson.